Max three runs per car.
BUILDING RULES AND REGULATIONS
1) This Derby is for “home-built” racers only. “Kit or Pre-Fabricated Cars” may be permitted to race but are ineligible for any awards. All Cars must be gravity powered, meaning no engines or external energy sources.
2) Mandatory Car Dimensions must be followed. See the ‘MANDATORY CAR’ Dimensions.
3) Cars must run on four wheels – two front and two rear. All four wheels must touch the ground at all times when racing.
4) Cars must be equipped with Steering and a Brake. See the ‘STEERING and BRAKE Guide’, under the “HOW TO” link.
5) Cars must be equipped with Steering “Stop Blocks”. Stop Blocks prevent over-steering, the primary cause of accidents on the course. See the ‘STEERING and BRAKE guide’.
6) A properly fitting helmet must be worn. Bicycle, Motorcycle or football helmets are acceptable.
7) All cars are subject to inspection before the race and if your car does not fit the criteria of our rules and regulations we reserve the right to disqualify your car.
MANDATORY CAR DIMENSIONS
Axle Length (front & rear) Maximum 5 Feet from ‘outside-to-outside’ of wheels
Protrusion of Axle Beyond Wheel Hub Maximum 1″ Length Overall build to lowest age group if car is to be run across groups
7-17 & 6 and Under Age Groups Maximum ‘Overall’ Length is 7 Feet
18 & Up Age Group Maximum ‘Overall” Length is 8 Feet
Wheelbase (front to back axle measurement) Minimum 40″ Ground Clearance (Bottom of Floorboard to ground) Minimum 3″, Maximum 7” Care must be taken to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.
Width Maximum of 6 Feet
Height Maximum of 5 Feet
Testing Your Car
Please try to perform testing of your car before the day of the race. Even more important is having your driver get comfortable behind the wheel. You can start testing well before the car is completed by running the car on flat or slightly inclined surfaces. When the car is completed, test it at higher speeds. Make brake tests where there is no danger if they fail or if the car starts to skid. Let the driver get used to the car and learn to control it so that it runs in a straight line before the big day.